The Leicester and Leicestershire Business Survey reflects the views of local businesses and provides an annual snapshot of local business conditions. Businesses are interviewed by telephone and provide valuable information that relates to sales and profits, business concerns, plans for growth, price pressures, the workforce and recruitment and skills and training.
The objective of the Business Survey is to deliver information from the local business community that provides a snap shot of business conditions, how the local economy is performing and also help inform local planning and decision making.
Areas covered by the Business Survey relate to:
– Business performance
– Business support
– Employment and skills
– Innovation, research and development
Between November 2014 and January 2015, 1,027 telephone interviews were conducted with private sector businesses across the Leicester and Leicestershire area.
- In the previous 12 months more than half of the business that took part in the survey reported increased sales turnover (55%) and profits (54%). This positive trend is expected to continue with three quarters of businesses anticipating increased sales turnover and profit in the next 12 months.
- Over the same period the staff headcount increased in a third of businesses (35%). A similar proportion (38%), anticipate an increase in their staff headcount over the next 12 months.
- Manufacturing businesses are particularly strong in this respect. 42% have increased their staff headcount in the last 12 months and 53% in the next 12 months.
- 37% of businesses have started offering new products or services in the last 12 months. Again manufacturing businesses are particularly strong with 49% reporting offering new products or services.
- 56% of manufacturing businesses (compared with 45%) are anticipating the introduction of new products or services in the next 12 months.
- Nearly two fifths of businesses (38%) expect general business conditions to improve. The figure in the construction industry is 46%.
- Two fifths of employers (42%) are planning to recruit in the next 12 months. The proportion is higher than average in manufacturing (51%).
A new Business Survey summary document can be downloaded here: Leicester and Leicestershire Business Survey 2015 or below.
The latest edition of the full Business Survey is also available to download below.
All previous Business Surveys can be accessed through Leicestershire Statistics and Research Online.