In this section, we look at:
- How many businesses are located in our area by sector
- The size of our businesses are small in size (employment & turnover)
Number of VAT and/or PAYE based enterprises in 2013 by size band (employees)
A high proportion of local businesses are very small in size (<5 employees) – although this is similar to the situation in England as a whole. Only about 1% of the businesses in the LLEP area have more than 100 employees (as is the case in England).
|Size Band||Leicester||Leicestershire||LLEP Area||England|
|0 – 4||6,010||18,610||24,620||1,411,875|
|5 – 9||1,310||3,030||4,340||232,100|
|10 – 19||670||1,515||2,185||115,710|
|20 – 49||380||810||1,190||62,990|
|50 – 99||130||250||380||20,035|
|100 – 249||55||155||210||11,610|
Number of VAT and/or PAYE based enterprises in 2013 – by turnover band (£000s)
Only about 2% of local businesses have turnover in excess of £5 million – the situation is similar across Leicester and Leicestershire and England. About 20% of local businesses have turnover below £50,000, with a further 20% in the £50,000 to £100,000 turnover bracket.
|Turnover size (£ thousand)||Leicester||Leicestershire||LLEP Area||England|
|0 – 49||1,550||4,965||6,515||336,940|
|50 – 99||1,810||5,685||7,495||439,640|
|100 – 249||2,370||6,750||9,120||545,350|
|250 – 499||1,155||2,885||4,040||221,200|
|500 – 999||785||1,830||2,615||138,960|
|1,000 – 4,999||720||1,765||2,485||136,370|
Number of VAT and/or PAYE based enterprises in 2013 – by sector (Broad Industry Group)
- A high proportion of Leicester City’s businesses are in the retail sector (13.3%), production (13.4%) and professional services (11.4%). The City has a relatively high proportion of manufacturing/production enterprises compared to England (13.4% compared to 6.3%) but a relatively low share of professional services businesses (11.4% versus 17.5%). As might be expected for an urban area, the concentration of retail enterprises is higher in Leicester than the England average.
- The LLEP area has on average high concentrations is the wholesale sector.
- The share of enterprises in construction is higher in Leicestershire than in Leicester. Although higher than average in Leicestershire, the figure for Leicester (6.9%) is just over half the English average (11.8%).
- On average there are fewer information and communications enterprises in the LLEP area.
|Broad Industry Group||Leicester||Leicestershire||LLEP Area||England|
|Agriculture, forestry & fishing||15||0.2||1,700||6.9||1,715||5.2||96,000||5.2|
|Transport & storage (inc. postal)||330||3.8||995||4.1||1,325||4.0||58,015||3.1|
|Accommodation & food services||540||6.3||1,220||5.0||1,760||5.3||106,020||5.7|
|Information & communication||450||5.2||1,265||5.2||1,715||5.2||152,700||8.2|
|Finance & insurance||505||5.9||740||3.0||1,245||3.8||40,890||2.2|
|Professional, scientific & technical||985||11.4||3,565||14.6||4,550||13.8||325,265||17.5|
|Business administration & support services||435||5.1||1,560||6.4||1,995||6.0||126,970||6.8|
|Public administration and defence||0||0.0||110||0.4||110||0.3||4,940||0.3|
|Arts, entertainment, recreation & other services||475||5.5||1,475||6.0||1,950||5.9||125,600||6.7|
Source of data: ONS, UK Business Activity, Size & Location 2011 – derived from IDBR data (tables B1.1 to B1.3). Figures rounded to nearest 5.