A disjointed team of careers champions from Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire elevated themselves to the rank of ‘elite athlete’ on Saturday after completing a marathon relay to raise money for charity.
The team of 10, who called themselves Scrambled Leggs, each ran 2.6 miles around Leicester Racecourse to complete a full marathon distance in a staggering 3 hours and 45 minutes.
Saahera Mahomed, LLEP enterprise coordinator and founder of Scrambled Leggs, said: “We may have been a scrambled team, but we gave it a good crack and our performance on the day was eggcellent. I’m so proud of everyone and how much we’ve managed to raise. Thank you to everyone for their support”.
Dan Heffernan, enterprise coordinator at D2N2 LEP, said: “We saw this as another fantastic opportunity to come together as one extended team while making a real difference to an incredible charity.
“The determination, grit, and teamwork we showed on the day replicates the skills each of us hopes to see in the young people we work with, and we look forward to hatching more plans in the future”.
The now semi-professional runners came together from the Local Enterprise Partnerships in the two regions with schools and enterprises from across the borders.
So far, they have managed to raise over £600 for Bamboozle Theatre Company Limited, a Leicester-based charity that provides some of the country’s most disabled children the opportunity to interact meaningfully with the world.
The event also featured a family fete with a cake sale, table top games and performances from Bamboozle artists, as well as a Tai Chi session.
The team in order of runner:
- Rob Cooper – Maplewell Hall School, Loughborough
- Jacqui Stretton – Crown Packaging, Leicester
- Declan Shephard – Leicester and Leicestershire Enterprise Partnership
- Rosie McArtney-Chrisp – Leicester and Leicestershire Enterprise Partnership
- Gerarde Manley – Leicester and Leicestershire Enterprise Partnership
- Dan Heffernen – D2N2 Local Enterprise Partnership
- Emma North – Nottinghamshire County Council
- Tommy Derrick – Collegiate Student Accommodation, Nottingham
- Kevin Farrell – Christ The King School, Nottingham
- Saahera Mahomed – Leicester and Leicestershire Enterprise Partnership
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org