This £27 million project will deliver junction and road improvements to the M1/J23 and A512 which will increase capacity and ease congestion, unlocking significant land for new homes and employment by supporting the new Loughborough and Leicester Enterprise Zone sites in Loughborough,–Loughborough University Science and Enterprise Park and Charnwood Campus
This project will focus investment through improved connectivity (both local and strategic), adding value to the planned developments to be delivered in the area by the University and private sector.
As well as supporting the Leicester and Loughborough Science and Enterprise Park, the project will also provide essential infrastructure that supports the developments at the West of Loughborough ‘Sustainable Urban Extension’ and Shepshed housing sites. These include around 4,000 homes and up to 5,700 jobs.
Project Sponsors: Leicestershire County Council
LLEP Investment: £12m
Project Status: On-going
Start Date: April 2019
End Date: September 2020
Outcomes: Homes – 4000, Jobs – 5700
Specific road improvements include:
- Improvements to the M1 Junction 23 to increase capacity.
- Widening of the A512 between M1 J23 and the waste transfer site
- 5km of cumulative dualling east and west of J23.
- 3 lane approach on A512 (E) and 2 lane exit onto A512 (W)
- On A512 Ashby Road there will be the delivery of a new roundabout with A512 and SUE approaches signalised
- Improvements to the A512 Ingleberry Road / Leicester Road
- Improvements to the A512 Iveshead Road / Charnwood Road
Quote from recipient about impact of funding:
Leicestershire County Council leader Councillor Nick Rushton said: “We welcome this significant investment which will enable considerable improvements to be made to the road network on and around junction 23 of the M1 at Loughborough.
“This should help reap huge economic benefits for the area. It means we can ensure there is the necessary infrastructure to support the building of 4,000 homes and potentially provide access to more than 5,700 jobs, including those created through the Loughborough and Leicester Enterprise Zone.”