The Leicester and Leicestershire Enterprise Partnership (LLEP) has shined the spotlight on Marion Plant OBE, LLEP board member and Principal and CEO of two Further Eduction Colleges.
Marion is Principal and CEO of North Warwickshire and Hinckley College and South Leicestershire College and holds several national roles, including Chair of the AoC World Skills Portfolio group and member of the Skills Show Board.
We caught up with Marion and asked her 10 questions about her job, hobbies and what it means to be a LLEP board member. Here is what she has to say!
1.What motivates you?
Success at individual or corporate level and seeing lives transformed by the power of learning, raised aspiration and improved confidence.
- What do you do for fun/ what are your hobbies?
I enjoy cross country skiing, gardening and family time.
- How would you describe a typical Friday evening?
Relaxing on the sofa, with friends and wine.
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
I would go back to Zambia where I grew up.
- What has been your favourite job role?
I’ve loved every job role….from being a midwife to being a College Principal.
- What’s your finest achievement in your work?
Securing Ofsted outstanding grade at NWHC and supporting students winning gold medals in WorldSkills competitions (especially as one student started with us at age 14 with no aspirations!)
- What has been your most memorable experience (professional or personal)?
Personally, the birth of my two sons and professionally, receiving my OBE at the Palace.
- What is the one bit of advice would you give to your 18 yr old self?
• Nothing is impossible
• Keep learning and developing
• Study/train for something you enjoy
- How long have you been on the LLEP board?
- As a valued board member, how do you see yourself contributing to the LLEP?
Leading on skills, connecting education with employment, supporting and challenging the executive and being a passionate ambassador for the LLEP and for Leicester/Leicestershire.
Watch out for more profiles on the LLEP board members in the future!
The LLEP is governed by a Board of 15 leaders representing the private, public and voluntary sector and it is chaired by a leading business representative. The Board provides leadership, oversight, challenge and reviews the delivery of the Strategic Economic Plan (SEP). To find out more about the board members roles and the structure of the LLEP, click here.