The Leicester and Leicestershire Enterprise Partnership (LLEP) was formed in May 2011. Following the government’s review of LEP’s in 2018 it was recommended that all Local Enterprise Partnerships become incorporated. We became LLEP Limited in April 2019.
The LLEP is a strategic body led by a Board made up of local government and business leaders as well as senior education and third sector representatives. The LLEP Board draws upon the expertise of senior leaders from the sectors mentioned and all our Board Members’ time is given on a voluntary and unpaid basis.
The LLEP’s remit is to drive forward regeneration and growth of the local economy, by:
- Working with Government to set out key investment priorities for Leicester & Leicestershire
- Engaging with business, local authorities, Higher Education, Further Education, the voluntary sector and other stakeholders
- Facilitating local partnership working and relations with national Government
- Influencing national Government economic policy and spending
- Investing LLEP funding and aligning partner resources
- Through its investments, influence and activities ensure positive outcomes for the local economy
Our vision is to “Create a vibrant, attractive and distinctive place with highly skilled people making Leicester and Leicestershire the destination of choice for successful businesses.”
Our aim by 2020, is to:
- Create 45,000 new jobs
- Leverage £2.5bn of private investment
- Increase GVA (Gross Value Added) by £4bn from £19bn to £23bn.
Key Sectors – We identified eight priority sectors that will support the delivery of the aims and objectives of our Strategic Economic Plan (SEP). These are:
- Low Carbon
- Food & Drink Manufacturing
- Creative Industries
- Textile Manufacturing
- Logistics & Distribution
- Professional & Financial Services
- Tourism & Hospitality
- Advanced Manufacturing & Engineering
The LLEP has processes and procedures in place to deliver our responsibilities in an open and transparent way. These are documented in our Local Assurance Framework.
Leicester City Council is the Accountable Body for the work of the LLEP and ensures that all expenditure is in accordance with all applicable legal requirements, including a requirement to act prudently in spending. As the Accountable Body they also audit our accounts and processes.